Morse-Code   |     home
Edrum Housing   |   E-Drum Digital PCB   |   Switch & Analog Mux PCB   |   Analog 1 PCB   |   Analog 2 PCB   |   Edrum PSU   |   Edrum Assembly   |   Drum Head / Triggers   |   Edrum Potentiometer Pedal   |   Edrum Optical Hi-Hat Pedal   |   DIY Edrum Drum Rack   |   Drum Brackets and Cymbal Mounts   |   DIY Edrum Cymbals
DIY Edrum Cymbals

I am still currently working on finding some "better" material for the cymbals, so far I have tried everything else that everyone has plus some other materials and still have not found anything that is "quiet" when hit with a stick..... I like how quiet my mesh head drums are and I wanted to fabricate my cymbals the same way... quiet!

Here is one way I made dual zone cymbals for my edrum project, these ones work really well in keeping the 2 zones separate from each other, so for those who are using Midi-Ox and not using the Edrum Monitor to separate the zones, this is a good way to do it mechanically, although they are still too "loud" for me when hit with a stick!!

I started out with some 16 gauge galvanized sheet steel cut into the shape I wanted for the cymbals.....

The center round piece is for the support when mounted to the cymbals mount, the larger piece is for the head of the cymbal and the end curved piece is for the edge....
I used some rubber cement glue to adhere some 1/16" (0.0625") thick BUNA N rubber onto the bottom side of the metal parts.....
I took some black dense craft foam and layered that on top of the 16 gauge steel plates..... but before it was glued into place I carved enough of the foam to recess the piezo's once in place.... The piezo sensors where hot glued onto pieces of 22 gauge galvanized sheet metal that were cutout the same shape as the first layer of sheet metal..... the first layer of sheet metal, gives the cymbal its rigidity, the second set of sheet metal is the actual strike plate for the cymbals, the dense foam in between the plates acts as a dampner to absorb the impact and not transfer it to the other sensor......

Once the glue set on the first part of the cymbals, I had glued another piece of Buna N rubber onto the top surface of the cymbal using some rubber cement.... Once everything was dried, and the piezos were wired to a 1/4" stereo phono jack. Below is a front view of the finished Cymbal showing the layered foam, rubber and sheet metal...

Below you can see the separation of the head and rim of the cymbal.... the response is pretty good no matter where the strike zone is hit.... Isolation between both sensors is really good IMO. I can whack the edge or head pretty hard with a stick and not trigger the other sensor....


The overall performance of these cymbals is pretty good in my opinion (thats coming from a newbie in drumming, someone else could say otherwise!) The only thing I do not like is the fact that the stick is still pretty loud when striking the cymbal.... I still need to come up with a better way of dampening the stick sound without reducing the sensitivity of the sensors or affecting the response.....


More to come as I try other materials for making DIY Edrum Cymbals....
Stay tuned!!!






Back to Edrum Main Page

Back To Projects Page